This smoothie combines the power of many digestion-friendly and immune-boosting foods:
Pineapple – Digestive and anti-inflammatory benefits, immune support. One cup gives you 105% of your daily Vitamin C requirements. I use frozen pineapple chunks in smoothies to save time.
Fresh ginger – Soothes the intestinal tract and helps with digestion. Awesome for all kinds of gastrointestinal relief, such as morning sickness. Anti-inflammatory and immune boosting.
Fresh parsley – Rich in vitamins K, C, A, folate, and antioxidants. It’s a natural diuretic which can help release water retention. Opt for flat-leaf parsley as it’s less bitter than curly parsley. Cilantro would be a nice swap here too!
Avocado – Major anti-inflammatory benefits + heart-healthy fats. High in fibre which aids with digestion.
Banana – Rich in B6, manganese, Vitamin C, fibre, and potassium. Interesting to note – while bananas are high in sugar, they have a low glycemic index score which means that they won’t spike blood sugar levels. It’s soothing to the digestive track and thought to regulate the bowels and enhance friendly gut bacteria.
Lemon – Rich in vitamin C. Aids digestion and helps flush out toxins.
- 1 heaping cup frozen pineapple chunks (or fresh, if desired)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons avocado
- 1 teaspoon packed freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon probiotic powder, optional
- lemon slice, for garnish
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend on the highest speed until super smooth.
1) Feel free to add a handful of baby spinach.
2) Fresh mint would also give this smoothie a nice digestion boost!